Sunday, February 3, 2008

Nike Used Me...And I Liked It


Purple laces, blue sole, red swoosh... whatever my little mind can think of! That is the beauty of Nikeid, the customer can design their own shoe. Customization is an important quality to many consumers, and Nike smartly brought customization to the consumer by creating their Nikeid website.

Now, according to this article in BusinessWeek, Nike is incorporating Nikeid into their stores. The virtual world is an important part of the shopping experience. Many customers shop or pre-shop online. By adding this feature to their stores, Nike is likely to increase customer satisfaction.

Let's just say I want to buy a shoe to match my bright pink exercise pants, but then I go into the store and alas there is no such shoe. Instead of turning around and leaving with money in hand, I can just log onto Nikeid and create the perfect shoe.

There are several reasons why this was an excellent play for Nike. Of course, they have the chance of gaining more purchasing (and happy) customers, but also the nikeid is a great way for customers to interact with the brand. It creates buzz around Nike.. "Johnny have you seen this wicked sweet shoe I created at Nikeid? Check it out!" Not only that, but Nike can gain market research just from seeing what their customers like on Nikeid. Also, Nike creates limited editions of their best customer designs. What a perfect way to find hot new designs without having to search for hot new designers.

Other stores should really take a hint from Nike. This is a great way to enhance a brand's product, increase sales, and allow customer's to feel more fulfilled. Wow, now that I think of all the benefits Nike gains from bringing the virtual world into their store... I feel so used.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Is this just in Niketown? I don't think I would personalize my shoe in the store, I would probably do that at home. I'm going to have to disagree and say that most people don't like shopping and walking around. If they don't see something cool in the store, they aren't going to buy it. They want Nike to tell them what's new and cool, and if it's not in the store they will probably just leave and move on.

People also want instant gratification.

"I want that shoe now!"

The personalization would take forever to be made, shipped, and received. I don't think Nike will see much sucess with in store personalization.

Lola said...

I appreciate the fact that Nike realizes its consumers are pretty creative, pretty choosy and want what they want, how they want it. It makes me, the consumer, feel as if I have a say and I am in control.

I wonder how Nike could take it a step further, maybe have some sort of contest for the best designed shoe and let that winner design a line for them. You know, take the citizen designer concept to a whole other level. Thoughts?

And regarding Dan's comment: I agree to a certain extent about people wanting instant gratification, but i don't think the personalization process takes forever. With the way Dell can turn around a computer in a matter of days, I am sure Nike can crank out a shoe in no time.

Darcie said...

Yes for clarification, only in Niketown